One of the things I truly miss about Caribbean lifestyle is the ease and spontaneity with which friends just drop in to ‘see how you’re doing’ or just ‘say hi’, then they end up staying for a lingering lunch, dinner or just a bite and a few easy drinks… We were never too keen on this ‘pencil it in the diary’ for however-many-months-ahead. Oh, and don’t get me started on the umpteen changes which are bound to take place on the run up to the date. At which rate a New Year’s Day hangout could easily wind up being a summer’s day barbecue! Yes, the weather is likely better for it, but whatever happened to the joys of spontaneity guys? To my British friends, I love you dearly, and I know you don’t quite get the excitement of just dropping by to see a really good friend or relative with very little notice but you should try it some time. ah well, I guess it comes down to how we’ve been socialised. For me, friends who do ‘drop-ins’ back home are really close… kinda like family, whereas here, this just isn’t okay, not even with family!
Anyway, I was lucky enough to have two Jamaican friends, visiting from China, drop in to see me at very short notice. Of course, it was my pleasure to make a lovely 3-course pescetarian dinner for us all to enjoy as played catch-up, laughed together and chatted about our current lives. We all enjoyed the meal and each others company, and being that I’m so proud of the ease with which I entertained them at such short notice, I decided to share the recipe for the quick and easy Smoked Salmon Rocket Rolls appetiser I made for us on the evening.
A DELIGHTFUL, EASY-TO-MAKE APPETISER; PERFECT WHEN ENTERTAINING ON SHORT NOTICE
- 10 smoked salmon strips
- Wild rocket leaves
- 3 Tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp quark
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon slices or wedges to serve
- Combine the cottage cheese, quark, lemon juice and dill. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Lay the salmon strips on a work surface and add the cottage cheese mixture along a half of the length of each strip.
- Add the desired amount of rocket and roll tightly (starting at the end with cottage cheese and rocket). Repeat until you’ve used all the salmon strips. Serve immediately garnished with lemon slices or wedges.
- Drink wine and enjoy with friends